Hot, Fresh, New

Hot, Fresh, New

Sunday, November 29, 2015

One of the Family: Cristiano From Brazil

The Coffeehouse blog is way for our company to talk with and feature our employees around the world to show our customers just how important their cup of coffee is to those who help put it in their cups.  This week we feature Cristiano Baraz, a local farmer in Minas Gerais, Brazil. 




Question: We ask everyone in our Global Brew family- What does coffee mean to you?

Cristiano: Our whole community is supported by the coffee trade.  Coffee is life. (laughs).  It’s also good for breakfast.  

Question: Can you tell us how long you’ve been a coffee farmer?

Cristiano: I grew up growing coffee.  I worked in the field as a kid but I think my earliest memories were age four or so.

Question: So did you get your start with family?

Cristiano: No.  We had a local businessman who owned most of the properties here.  We lived on the grounds and worked on the farms to get percentages of the crops we harvested. 

Question: Do you own your property now?

Cristiano: Yes.  My brother and I managed to buy our property about 10 years ago.  Our families live here and work the land just like we did growing up.  (laughs).  We keep all of our profits now though.

Question: How has that changed your business?

Cristiano: As an owner I have to make decisions for the future instead for the season.  I think about building; doing more.  That’s what made me want to work with Global Brew. 

Question: Why is that?

Cristiano: They are the leaders in the coffee business.  I thought if I built a business relationship with the company, I could have stability and higher profits.  This is good for my family.

Question: How long have you worked with Global Brew and what has this partnership meant for your business?

Cristiano: Four years.  Since then I have been able to hire three more employees and send my kids to school.  Business has been good until recently. 

Question: The company’s recent crisis about the Fair Trade practices have sparked major criticism.  Do you still hope to continue the partnership.  

Crisitiano: I believe there were mistakes in the business but I believe they are trying.  Me, the other farmers just want to be respected for our hard work.  If Global Brew honors the contract we have, if they honor my product, I will be happy to continue.       

Question: Protests in this region have lead to the #DoWeMatter movement on social media.  Do you have this same question for Global Brew?

Cristiano: Honestly I do.  I have a business and a family.  The company has brought money to our community.  They seemed to care.  I hope it’s true.  Many companies make mistakes.   We can forgive and move on.  I won’t criticize them.  I just hope to grow from this situation.  Global Brew matters to me.  I want to matter to them. 


 Click below to see him take us on a tour of his property and a glimpse of how Cristiano takes his coffee:

No comments:

Post a Comment